How long can cats go without food?
As any cat keeper knows, cats can be very fussy eaters. One day they may love their food, and the next, they may turn their noses up at it thoroughly. This can often happen when a cat is stressed or anxious, and it can worry owners who are unsure how long their cats can go without food. Whiskas spoke to experts to find out how long cats can go without food and what signs to pay special attention to that your feline may be hungry. Cats usually need around 20 calories per kilogram of body weight each day. For a 4kg cat, this equates to about 80 calories per day. In any case, each feline is unique, and some might require pretty much than this.The average adult cat should eat around 190 calories per day. If your cat is eating less than this, it may be at risk of becoming malnourished. Malnourishment in cats can lead to several health problems, such as weight loss, muscle wasting, weakness, and lethargy. In severe cases, it could be perilous.
Signs your cat is Hungry.
If you are unsure whether your cat is hungry, there are a few signs you can look out for. These include:
- Meowing more than usual
- Rubbing against you or other objects
- Following you around the house
- Kneading their paws begging for food
If you notice these signs, your feline and you should provide them with food. It would be best if you gave your cat some wet food as it is more comfortable for them to eat and has a higher water content than dry food.
How to encourage your cat to eat?
If your cat is not eating, there are a few things you can do to try and encourage them to eat. These include:
- Try different types of food – Some cats can be fussy eaters, so it may take a few attempts to find a food they like.
- Make sure the food is at the right temperature – Cats prefer their food to be around room temperature or slightly warmer.
- Add some water – If your cat is eating dry food, add a little water to make it more appealing.
- Try a different bowl – Some cats prefer to eat from a particular type of bowl, so it may be worth trying a different one.
- Add some wet food – Adding some wet food to their diet
- Offering them small meals more often rather than one large meal
- Putting their food in place where they feel safe and secure, such as in their litter box or on raised platform
- Warming their food slightly so that it releases more aroma
- Adding catnip or another herb that appeals to cats to their food
If your cat still isn’t eating, it’s essential to take them to the vet to rule out any underlying medical conditions.
What happens if a cat doesn’t eat?
Cats are committed carnivores, meaning they need to eat meat. Felines can foster a condition known as a liver illness without enough protein in their eating routine. Liver disease is a severe condition that can be fatal if left untreated, so it is essential to seek veterinary advice if you are concerned about your cat’s lack of appetite.
If a cat doesn’t eat for three days, it may be at risk of developing liver disease. Liver disease is a severe condition that can be fatal if left untreated, so it is essential to seek veterinary advice if you are concerned about your cat’s lack of appetite. However, cats can survive for up to three days without food, so if your cat has not eaten for this long, it is crucial to offer them food and water as soon as possible.
The Dangers of Sudden Weight Loss in Cats
Weight loss in cats can be a sign of underlying health problems, such as liver disease, kidney disease, or cancer. If your cat is losing weight suddenly, it is vital to take them to see the vet so that they can oversee any severe conditions. In some cases, weight loss may also be caused by stress or anxiety. Your vet may recommend changes to your cat’s diet or environment.
If you are concerned about your cat’s weight, it is essential to take them to the vet. They can assess whether your cat is healthy and offer advice on how to help them maintain a healthy weight. You should also make sure that you are feeding your cat a balanced diet and providing them with enough exercise.